We are happy to announce that we have entered feature freeze stage for Kong 2.2 development, and pushed packages for 2.2.0-beta.1. Since 2.2 is a minor release there are no breaking changes with respect to the 2.x series.
What’s new in Kong 2.2.0-beta.1
Here is what is new in beta.1 since Kong 2.2.0-alpha.1:
Configurable Request and Response Buffering: The buffering of requests or responses can now be enabled or disabled on a per-route basis, through setting attributes
false. Default behavior remains the same: buffering is enabled by default for requests and responses.
Option to Automatically Load OS Certificates: The configuration attribute
lua_ssl_trusted_certificatewas extended to accept a comma-separated list of certificate paths, as well as a special
systemvalue, which expands to the “system default” certificates file installed by the operating system. This follows a very simple heuristic to try to use the most common certificate file in most popular distros.
Upstream.client_certificateattribute can now be used from proxying: This allows
client_certificatesetting used for mTLS handshaking with the
Upstreamserver to be shared easily among different Services. However,
Service.client_certificatewill take precedence over
Upstream.client_certificateif both are set simultaneously. In previous releases,
Upstream.client_certificatewas only used for mTLS in active health checks.
shorthand_fieldstop-level attribute in schema definitions, which deprecates
shorthandsand includes type definitions in addition to the shorthand callback.
- Hybrid Mode: the table of Data Plane nodes at the Control Plane is now cleaned up automatically, according to a delay value configurable via the
cluster_data_plane_purge_delayattribute, set to 14 days by default.
- Admin API responses and
kong.response.exitnow honor the
headersconfiguration setting for including or removing the
- aws-lambda: bump to version 3.5.0, with support for ‘isBase64Encoded’ flag in Lambda function responses
- correlation-id: the plugin now generates a correlation-id value by default if the correlation id header arrives but is empty.
- Improve graceful exit of Control Plane and Data Plane nodes in Hybrid Mode.
- datadog, loggly, statsd: fixes for supporting logging TCP/UDP services.
- Logging plugins: request and response sizes are now reported by the log serializer as number attributes instead of string.
- key-auth: no longer trigger HTTP 400 error when the body cannot be decoded.
- aws-lambda: respect
skip_large_bodiesconfig setting even when not using AWS API Gateway compatibility.
Please note that the download locations for the alpha release is kept separate from the final release locations:
More details and PR links are available at the 2.2.0 Changelog .
We encourage you to try the beta release and report any issues in Kong’s Github repo. Feedback is extremely important to help us make this the best Kong version ever!