Istio sidecar problem

I got a problem when installing kong above istio.

basic information:

mode : postgresql (I have a requirement to use OAuth2 plugin which restrict me away from db-less mode)
helm-version : 2.14.1
chart-version : 0.26.1
istio-version : 1.4
kubernetes-version : v1.15.5

Since I labeled the installing namespace as istio-injection=enabled for the auto-injection. When I installed the kong through helm install stable/kong, the migration job cannot be completed normally. I find it’s a sidecar issue on Job resources (https://github.com/istio/istio/issues/11045).

I tried to disable the sidecar injection on Migration Job, it turns out that the migration job cannot find the postgersql pod.
In the meantime, I tried to terminate the job manually through kubectl exec gateway-kong-init-migrations-pq5cl-c istio-proxy -- curl -X POST localhost:15000/quitquitquit, however, the kong pod stood still as “PodInitilizing”.

Since I’d like to view the traffic through kong api-gateway and do the monitoring and logging things, I want to integrate the kong into the service mesh layer. What can I do? Is there a way to modify the chart to complete the installation or just replace the kong pod later?

Thanks for the detail post and relevant links.

There is nothing much that Kong can do for this bug with Istio/Kubernetes.
One hack, that will require some heavy lifting is to add an init-container to the postgresql pod, which runs Kong migrations instead. This will strictly be a workaround though.

Do you really need a database for your use-case?
You can deploy without a Database and essentially get almost the same set of features (with much simpler operations model).

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it later.
Yeah, I think dbless mode is good and suits the cloud native principle. However, I need OAuth2 plugin. There will be a lot of workloads if I change the authorization way. btw, does kong have any special support or plan to enable OAuth2 in dbless mode?

Yes. We are working on it. @bungle can provide more info on that.

Hi, I check the installation today and I found it’s not the job problem.
Actually, the migration command has done.

However, the initcontainer “wait-for-db” in kong cannot run kong start. I exec the container and get the debug info as :
Actually, the postgresql can be accessed
I don’t know what can I do to fix “unexpected message during auth”.

© 2019 Kong Inc.    Terms  •  Privacy  •  FAQ