Kong startup issues on macOs

There are two scenarios for the macOs that doesn’t work for me (anymore)

1. Using Kong 2.5.0 with docker 4.0.0.12 (with compose)
This used to work very well until the latest macOs update which leads to the following error:

WARN[0000] network gateway_net: network.external.name is deprecated in favor of network.name
[+] Running 2/2
 ⠿ Container db-gateway  Running                                                                                                                                                                                                                         0.0s
 ⠿ Container kong        Recreated                                                                                                                                                                                                                       0.1s
Attaching to kong
kong  | Cannot mkdir /tmp/resty_smJVkWJcjK: No space left on device
kong exited with code 28

I guess something changed here on the operating system level as the /tmp directory now somehow seems to point to /private/tmp. (on a mac terminal: cd /tmp; open . → finder shows /private/tmp). Or may be this could be also related to the new docker version.

2. Installing with brew
Trying this scenario I get the following errors:

==> Installing kong from kong/kong
==> Patching
==> /usr/local/opt/openresty@1.19.3.2/luarocks/bin/luarocks --tree=/usr/local/Cellar/kong/2.5.0 make CRYPTO_DIR=/usr/local/opt/openresty@1.19.3.2/openssl OPENSSL_DIR=/usr/local/opt/openresty@1.19.3.2/openssl
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/kong/2.5.0: 1,221 files, 9.5MB, built in 1 minute 53 seconds

[5.8]me@laptop:~> kong start -c /Users/me/.app/gateway/kong.conf
2021/09/12 18:48:25 [warn] ulimit is currently set to "256". For better performance set it to at least "4096" using "ulimit -n"
Error: could not find OpenResty 'nginx' executable. Kong requires version 1.19.3.1 to 1.19.3.2

With openresty actually installed:

[5.8]me@laptop:~/.app/gateway> brew search kong@
==> Formulae
kong/deck/deck ✔                    
kong/kong/kong ✔                    
kong/kong/openresty@1.15.8.3       
kong/kong/openresty@1.17.8.2 ✔      
kong/kong/openresty@1.19.3.1        
kong/kong/openresty@1.19.3.2 ✔      
kona

Thanks a lot!

Just in case the “docker” issue happens as well to someone else. I could manage to solve the problem by pruning everything on docker with ‘docker system prune’.