Kong ingress fail to start on Docker Desktop Kuberenetes cluster - "init_by_lua error"

Hello,
I’m using Kong on Kubernetes for the last year, on Docker Desktop for windows.
Using the installation instructions, I have a kong.yaml file and I’m applying it using kubectl.

I’ve never had any problems in the past but in the last 24 hours I get the following error from the proxy container of the ingress-king pod:

2021/02/21 19:27:21 [error] 1#0: init_by_lua error: /usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:620: error loading module ‘kong.plugins.acme.handler’:
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/openssl.lua:5: attempt to index field ‘version’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/openssl.lua:5: in main chunk
[C]: in function ‘require’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/util.lua:1: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/client.lua:3: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/plugins/acme/client.lua:1: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/plugins/acme/handler.lua:2: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x7fbe04b0a0f0
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:611: in function ‘load_module_if_exists’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/db/dao/plugins.lua:149: in function ‘load_plugin_handler’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/db/dao/plugins.lua:227: in function ‘load_plugin’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/db/dao/plugins.lua:275: in function ‘load_plugin_schemas’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/init.lua:446: in function ‘init’
init_by_lua:3: in main chunk
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘error’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:620: in function ‘load_module_if_exists’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/db/dao/plugins.lua:149: in function ‘load_plugin_handler’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/db/dao/plugins.lua:275: in function ‘load_plugin_schemas’
nginx: [error] init_by_lua error: /usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:620: error loading module ‘kong.plugins.acme.handler’:
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/openssl.lua:5: attempt to index field ‘version’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/openssl.lua:5: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/util.lua:1: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/acme/client.lua:3: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/plugins/acme/client.lua:1: in main chunk
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/plugins/acme/handler.lua:2: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x7fbe04b0a0f0
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:611: in function ‘load_module_if_exists’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘error’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/tools/utils.lua:620: in function ‘load_module_if_exists’

@Aviad_Chen I am experiencing the exact same error when building and deploying Kong from kong:2.0.4-centos, I have builds from 3 weeks ago based on the same public docker tag that are working and I am using that as a base in the meantime.

kong:2.0.4-centos was last pushed 10 months ago on docker hub

Perhaps there was a change on a downstream docker layer?

I’m facing the same issue. @Steve_Chapman or @Aviad_Chen , Were you able to get past the issue?

I had to eventually pin the lua-resty-jwt ~> 0.2.2-0 in the rockspec to get past this issue. Hopefully this comment helps anyone else hitting this problem.

1 Like

Please I do not understand what you mean by pin, what did you do exactly? could you please show an example

Hi,
Am facing the same issue. Build the image from below docker file

FROM kong:2.3
USER root
LABEL description="Kong 2.3.0 + kong-oidc plugin"
RUN apk update && apk add git unzip luarocks
RUN luarocks install kong-oidc
ENV KONG_PLUGINS=bundled,oidc