We are happy to have made progress in our release candidate cycle for Kong 1.0, and announce the availability of RC2!
Download Kong 1.0.0rc2 today and give us your feedback!
This second release candidate contains numerous improvements and bug fixes reported or contributed by the community, but also allows for migrations from a 0.14 cluster, which was one of the limitations of RC1. We thus hope to receive even more feedback from you about this release candidate!
What’s new in RC2
RC2 contains the following improvements over RC1:
- Support for upgrading 0.14 nodes to 1.0.0rc2
- Support for OpenSSL 1.1.1 (bundled by default)
- Support for HTTPS active healthchecks
- Significant runloop performance improvements
pg_timeoutconfiguration option to configure a PostgreSQL timeout value
- Various bug fixes and usability improvements
Upgrade Path from 0.14
We have made sure that the following upgrade path from 0.14 is supported, including “cold” nodes (Note: upgrading from a pre-0.14 cluster is not supported):
- Download 1.0rc2, and configure it to point to the same datastore as your 0.14 cluster. Run
kong migrations up.
- Both 0.14 and 1.0rc2 nodes can now run simultaneously on the same datastore. Start provisioning 1.0rc2 nodes, but do not use their Admin API yet. Prefer making Admin API requests to your 0.14 nodes instead.
- Gradually divert traffic away from your 0.14 nodes, and into your 1.0rc2 cluster. Monitor your traffic to make sure everything is going smoothly.
- When your traffic is fully migrated to the 1.0rc2 cluster, decommission your 0.14 nodes.
- From your 1.0rc2 cluster, run:
kong migrations finish. From this point on, it will not be possible to start 0.14 nodes pointing to the same datastore anymore. Only run this command when you are confident that your migration was successful. From now on, you can safely make Admin API requests to your 1.0rc2 nodes.
Install 1.0rc2 on a fresh datastore
1.0 introduces a new, improved migrations framework. The following commands can be run to prepare a new 1.0 cluster from a fresh datastore:
$ kong migrations bootstrap [-c config] $ kong start [-c config]
Our next release candidate, 1.0RC3, will include the necessary capabilities to deploy Kong as a Service Mesh. Stay tuned for more updates!
As always, feel free to reach out to us here or via GitHub issues if you have any questions or feedback about this upgrade path, or the contents of this release in general! We appreciate the feedback we receive from our release candidates testers and thank them in advance!