Database "kong" does not exist

Setting up kong in amazon linux with an RDS postgres database. Created database named “kong” which is up and running. Here are the relevant conf file entries:

database = postgres
pg_host = kong-db.cjtzpy1hzftb.us-east-2.rds.amazonaws.com
pg_port = 5432
pg_timeout = 5000
pg_user = kong
pg_password = ********
pg_database = kong

When I run kong migrations up, I get the following:

2019/02/11 17:49:09 [verbose] prefix in use: /usr/local/kong
Error:
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/migrations.lua:91: [PostgreSQL error] failed to retrieve server_version_num: FATAL: database “kong” does not exist
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘assert’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/migrations.lua:91: in function ‘cmd_exec’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/init.lua:87: in function </usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/init.lua:87>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/init.lua:87: in function </usr/local/share/lua/5.1/kong/cmd/init.lua:44>
/usr/local/bin/kong:7: in function ‘file_gen’
init_worker_by_lua:48: in function <init_worker_by_lua:46>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
init_worker_by_lua:55: in function <init_worker_by_lua:53>

I think security groups are all fine. Any thoughts?

Are you able to see how long the kong start to the failure is taking? I ask as if the connection appears to be timing out, you might have a security group issue.

Otherwise, I recommend double checking the values, including using psql from the EC2 instance.

Thanks for the recommendation of using psql from the EC2 instance. I had the database name and the instance the same. When I changed pg_database to be ‘postgres’ instead of ‘kong’ in the config file, all worked. Appreciate the assist.

Look this article https://www.setouchino.cloud/blogs/96
maybe help you