Configuration question for multi-tenant setup

We’re planning to use Kong as an API gateway in front of a set of services. Our product is a multi-tenant solution where each tenant has a number of users.

Requirements

• A user with admin rights within a tenant can issue an API key which grants access to the APIs but limits the access to that specific tenant.
  • Several API keys may be issued for the same tenant
  • API keys should only have access to a selected set of services
  • All services and all tenants are served by a single host (api.example.com)

My ideas

I thought of solving this by

• Create services with corresponding routes /service-a, /service-b
  • The routes will have ACL plugins requiring the consumer to have a specific group (/service-a requiring group-a, etc)
  • Creating a new Kong Consumer for every issued API key.
  • The consumers will have groups added corresponding to the services served.
  • The consumers will have individual Request Transformer plugins set up which adds a “X-Tenant-Id” header so the upstream services know which tenant to serve

Questions

1. Is this a good way of configuring Kong for my use case?
  2. Assuming there are 10,000 tenants, all with 2 API keys, there will be 20,000 request-transformer plugins running. Is that OK?
  3. Is there a way to have a database table with API keys and tenant IDs and make the above mapping dynamically?
  4. How can I make sure the “X-Tenant-Id” (and other internal headers) are stripped from the client requests? I could delete it with a request transformer but the order of the transformers are not easily controlled (all have priority 801 and when configured with decK, there is no way of controlling creation order)