Configuring APIs for the first time

Hey guys.

I’m new to Kong and it’s very interesting. I have installed Kong locally through Docker and am now configuring it fo multiple services. I am using JWT as my authentication strategy and am just curious how you guys handle certain things like:

• Do you have to activate a plugin for all APIs or is there a way to have it enabled with all APIs by default?
  • If you have three services, does that mean you’ll need to define three APIs (if so, how do you handle end points that require authentication, versus those that do not for the same service?)
  • Do consumers exist for all APIs?

Hi,

Most of those questions are already answered in our documentation.

Do you have to activate a plugin for all APIs or is there a way to have it enabled with all APIs by default?

See the documentation.

If you have three services, does that mean you’ll need to define three APIs (if so, how do you handle end points that require authentication, versus those that do not for the same service?)

This is currently being worked on, and we are introducing new entities (namely, Routes and Services) in the upcoming version of Kong. As of today, you need to duplicate your APIs and define them with different matching rules. See the documentation around matching roules in the proxy guide.

Do consumers exist for all APIs?

Yes.