Seems fine to me. As with no db I imagine certain plugins like OAuth2 with client credentials flow through Kong would be unsupported and only a local rate limiting policy applied and things of that nature but overall it provides a solid way to cut out the db.
Other aspects I think will be doing it in a manner that does not require an actual redeploy/restart and parse of a local yaml file sitting on the Kong node itself, but rather can each node point to a schema file hosted remotely at a central location possibly and do some sort of kong rebuild -f https://myrepo.com/mykongrepo/kongconfig.yaml at runtime with no downtime? And then just run that cmd on every declarative kong node we run to keep them in sync? Ofc a local file should be reasonable too if thats how a user wants to do it
, but I would prefer one remote yaml file hosted elsewhere and say my 6 kong nodes all reference that one yaml.
Other random features floating in my head would be a way to maybe encrypt/decrypt the kong config file for some potential use case I haven’t fully vetted(share the file/keep it visible in public repo but not expose secrets stored in plaintext maybe? idk, maybe just add a layer of encryption on just the secrets in a way only Kong cluster “declarative” nodes would be able to decipher.).
If I have any other ideas i will drop them in place. I probably, won’t be leveraging this flow anytime soon due to being unable to support oauth2 cc by nature, but I do like the idea of it! Not being tied to a db and latency/connections held around that would provide a large amount of stability and not cut down too many features.