Kong ingress controller and custom CRDs

Hi,

I have a use-case where I would want to use kong as an ingress controller to k8s and also act as an API gateway. The following doc mentions 2 ways in which this can be achieved i.e without a database and with a database. I have the following queries:

1. Can I deploy an ingress controller with cassandra (the doc only mentions postgres) ?
  2. kong seems to create several CRDs for routes, plugins, consumers etc. Wouldn’t this generate unwanted load on k8s’ etcd if lot of consumers are created?
  3. Is it possible to just update services’ CRDs in the control path through ingress controller and skip creating custom CRDs for consumers, plugins etc?

Any other suggestion that you might have in this regard.

Thanks
Abhishek

1 Like

Yes, this is possible as long as you can provide a stable Cassandra cluster (outside or inside k8s).

Yes. If your use-case warrants creating a lot of consumers (more than a few thousands), it is recommended that you instead provision consumers directly using the Admin interface of Kong and skip creating the CRDs.

Not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?
You can of course only setup routing via the Ingress controller and not use plugins and consumers features.

Hope this helps!