Is nested setup of Kong for Kubernetes a bad practice?

In our scenario, we need

• a Kong with DB for basic auth management. This is because we have an increasing number of customers, thus we don’t want to maintain them in a declarative yaml.
  • a Kong in DB-less mode. This is for the routing part where declarative yaml is better than DB.

Question is - Is it a bad practice to have a nested Kong setup? If so, what’s the recommendation to our scenario.

Thanks,

T

You can chose to run a single DB where you are configuring everything except consumers and their credentials in a declarative fashion. And then use the Admin API to configure consumers and their credentials dynamically.

So is that a yes that even I setup Kong for Kubernetes with a DB, I can still use declarative configuration, correct?

Yes. You can configure everything except Consumers and credentials using CRDs and configure consumers using the admin API.

I’ve successfully created k4k with Cassandra (we already have a Cassandra running, so just making use of it) using helm and following values.yaml:

image:
  repository: kong
  tag: 2.2
env:
    database: cassandra
    cassandra_contact_points: cassandra.infrastructure
    cassandra_username: cassandra
    cassandra_password: temppassword123!
admin:
    enabled: true
    http:
        enabled: true
        servicePort: 8001
        containerPort: 8001
ingressController:
    installCRDs: false

And then I applied this ingress.yaml

apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
    kind: Ingress
    metadata:
      name: demo
      namespace: vi
      annotations:
        kubernetes.io/ingress.class: kong
    spec:
      rules:
      - http:
          paths:
          - path: /search
            backend:
              serviceName: demo
              servicePort: 80

However when I curl $PROXY_IP/search, I get

{"message":"no Route matched with those values"}

How do I know if it’s really using declarative config or still trying to look for that path in the DB?

Thanks!

Nevermind. I found the issue.

I re-installed Kong for Kubernetes, without realizing that the DB does not get removed along with it. After re-install, any new configure cannot be written to the database due to following error in ingress-controller

"failed to update kong configuration: inserting target into state: entity already exists"

I removed the database from Cassandra before re-install, and it worked fine.

Guess this is a bug that has to be fixed.