Getting API disabled in the current context when testing a plugin

Disclaimer: I’m a front-end developer and my only Lua experience was hearing about a Lua table data structure 10 years ago and adding that to MooTools (pre Map()).

I’m writing a plugin based on some prior “art” and am trying to write some tests for it. The meat of the plugin is the following:

function _M.execute (conf)
	local cookie = restycookie:new()	
	local allowedVars = template.getCommonAllowedVars(conf)

local cookieName = template.apply(conf.cookie_name, nil, nil, allowedVars)
	local request_cookie_value = cookie:get(cookieName)

if request_cookie_value == nil then
		local path = kong.request.get_path()
		if handle_route(conf.routes, path) then
			conf.protocol = conf.scheme
			conf.path = conf.path_prefix
			return dynamic_service_access.execute(conf)
		end
	end
end

Someone else on my team has mocked Kong (at least some of the methods) so we can mock requests in another plugin’s tests. With that in place when I call the execute method above in the test I get an error saying

/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/cookie.lua:103: API disabled in the current context

stack traceback:
	/usr/local/openresty/lualib/resty/core/var.lua:73: in function '__index'
	/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/resty/cookie.lua:103: in function 'new'
	.../share/lua/5.1/kong/plugins/no-cookie-routing/access.lua:22: in function 'execute'
	test/access.lua:47: in function <test/access.lua:35>

I’d rather not mock the resty cookie, but even if I do that I start getting the same error about lua request due to the get_path() call. What is the appropriate way to test this and is there a way to mock the context/ctx on Kong?

Hi, I am getting a similar error when running the test for the response transformer plugin. How did you solve the issue?